5 Foods that Help BURN FAT
Is it true... Can certain foods you eat actually help burn stubborn fat? AND keep it off if it's added into your daily lifestyle? From my point of view as a nutritionist, YES!
Some foods can help burn fat and calories, as long as they are the right foods.
How? Not all calories and foods are created equally and/or have the same nutrient value & our body utilizes food and nutrients differently.
All foods have different nutrient values, therefore all foods have the ability to help and work with the body or negatively effect the body.
Refined carbohydrates, processed saturated fat, refined sugar and sweeteners found in man made food can cause unwanted fat and other health problems.
- Fat, stays as fat or can be burned and used as energy in the body.
- Sugar, can be turned to fat in the body.
- Carbs, digest as a sugar molecule - which turns to fat.
These 3 ingredients are commonly found in easy to eat packaged/man made food products. These are convenience foods which many people are eating on a day to day basis due to busy & stressful lifestyles. Sadly the obesity and overweight statistics have been increasing for years! Put two and two together.. processed foods are making us fat!!
Avoid processed carbohydrates, fat, sugar and foods when working towards fat loss and weight loss goals!
On the other hand, some nutrient dense superfoods, protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats (omega 3, 6 & 9) can contribute to fat loss and improve overall health.
In this post I will be talking about 5 of the best foods in my eyes that can help you burn fat!
- uses more calories to digest and utilize than any other nutrient, you'll be burning calories and fat even though you are eating/digesting
- high protein diets help build muscle, muscle building = fat burning (when combined with exercise)
- contains amino acids which helps repair, build muscle & tissue and stabilize metabolism
2. SPICY FOODS:
- contains an ingredient called "capsaicin" which can speed up fat loss by increasing the body's ability to convert food into energy
- chilli peppers (cayenne, jalapeneos) contain capsaicin
- to reap the benefits is use a pinch of cayenne pepper to season your meals
- loaded with healthy fats (monounsaturated fat), some healthy fat actually helps burn fat and stops fat distribution *add them to your diet in moderation*
- according to a few diabetes studies, monounsaturated fat can prevent body fat around the belly by effecting certain fat genes
- contains fiber which binds to waste, toxins and excess fat; ending up being flushed out of our body
4. GREEN TEA
- contains a powerful antioxidant called EGCG, which reduces fat gain and increases fat-burning
- 3 cups of organic pure green tea a day will provide enough EGCG to ignite the fat burning processes (+ 1-2 litres of water should always be consumed when drinking tea throughout the day)
- avoid sugar and milk with your tea which only adds added calories and a possibility to increase fat
- ignites metabolism, perfect to start the day with a slice or half a grapefruit
- high in phytochemicals and compounds that stimulate the production of a hormone called adiponectin, which is involved in the breakdown of body fat
- studies show a group on women who ate some grapefruit everyday lost inches of their waist line (combined with exercise)
TAKE HOME MESSAGE:
Certain nutrient dense foods can help the body's ability to burn fat!
- add these foods into your daily meals and snacks so eventually they become apart of your day to day lifestyle, helping you burn fat
Processed foods like refined carbs, fat and sugar lead to increased fat distribution!
- avoid these foods or consume in moderation (not with every meal or everyday)