Protein Packed Snacks
Protein is made up of amino acids. If you are exercising on a regular basis you need to make sure your body is getting enough protein!
If you are into fitness and lurk social media you probably know almost every weight-lifters/body builders, athlete and fitness model etc. take amino acids. Supplementing amino acids helps our body create new proteins, while helping repair and build the muscle! Lets take a quick step back so you look at the bigger picture.
When you are exercising intensely and putting your muscle under stress (especially weight lifting), your muscles are creating tiny micro-tears. This is why we are so sore after a day of heavy lifting. Protein is key here! It goes right into the muscle and repairs those tiny micro-tears, it literally feeds the muscle! This is how the muscle can build and grow.
Symptoms of Low Protein:
- muscle wasting (less muscle mass) - increased weakness - fatigue - missed menstrual cycles - low hormonal function Getting enough protein everyday is essential for building your muscles and for proper functioning of our bodies, hormones, and mind.
Protein doesn't always have to come from a piece of meat. There are TONS of plant based, clean sources of protein out there. You must try new things, step out of your comfort zone and start looking at all the options! This post gives you some great plant based protein packed snacks, that are perfect for a quick post workout snack or when you are on the go!
QUICK & EASY PROTEIN SNACKS
CACAO PB PROTEIN BITES
- 2-4 tbsp. nut butter (peanut, almond) - 5 tbsp. oats or oat bran (I used oat bran for this recipe) - 2 heaping tbsp. of vanilla protein powder - 2-3 tbsp. pure honey - 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon - 1 tbsp. cacao nibs - 1 tbsp. hemp hearts - 1 tbsp. chia seeds - 2 tbsp. giddy yoyo cacao powder
1. Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix with your hands. 2. Roll into bite size balls, once rolled into balls. Put cacao powder on a flat plate to roll the balls. Roll reach individual ball in the cacao powder. 3. Put on a plate with wax paper and let chill in the fridge. (Add more wet or dry ingredients if need) Perfect for on the go!
PROTEIN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa flour - 1/4 cup stevia powder - 2 tsp. baking powder - 1/2 tsp. baking soda - 2 tsp. cinnamon - 2 egg whites - 2 mashed bananas - 1 cup fresh blueberries - 1/3 cup rice milk - 1 cup sugar free apple sauce - 1/2-1 scoop vanilla protein powder - 1 cup chopped nut of choice (walnut, almond) 1. In one bowl mix all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix all of the wet ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until fully combined. 2. Fold in the blueberries and flax seeds. Line a baking muffin tin with muffin cups and add a large spoonful to each. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked.
- 4 tbsp. chia seeds - just less then 1/4 cup almond milk - 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract - 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey - Pinch of salt 1. In a bowl let all ingredients soak for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until it becomes a pudding texture. 2. Top with granola of choice, hemp hearts, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup chopped fruit. Perfect to bring in the go!
BLACK BEAN & CHICKPEA HUMMUS
-1/2 cup drained and rinsed black beans - 1/2 cup drained and rinsed chickpeas (save the liquid from the chickpeas) - 2 tbsp. lemon juice - 1 tbsp. chopped parsley - 1 clove of minced garlic - 1 tsp. onion powder - 1/2 tbsp. chilli powder - Salt and pepper 1. Add all ingredients into the blender and a splash of the reserved chickpea liquid and blend until a hummus texture. 2. Use the chickpea liquid if you need to adjust the texture. 3. Serve with veggie sticks, pita or crackers.
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt - 1/2 scoop protein powder - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon - 1/2 cup granola of choice - 1 cup chopped fruit - 1 tsp. pure honey - 1 tbsp. hemp hearts - Small handful of raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds 1. Mix the protein powder and cinnamon into the yogurt until clumps are gone. 2. Top with fruit, granola, seeds, hemp hearts and honey drizzle.
FUNKY MONKEY PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
- 2 frozen bananas - 1-2 cups almond milk - 1 -2 tbsp. nut butter - 1 tbsp. cacao powder - 1 tbsp. hemp hearts - 1 scoop protein powder - Pinch of cinnamon Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until fully mixed.